For too long I’ve been wondering what do those people eat in the metro 2033, so I finally took on the task to replicate one of the dishes. The process was simple: get to know what are the things that people in the metro universe eat and build the dish around those ingredients.
This dish seems to be everywhere and eaten by everyone, so i called it “poor meal” …It took me quite some time to figure out what would this brown mush be made out of, but finally I decided to make a simple mushroom paste that would be made out of pork, mushrooms and milk, the three ingredients that possibly even the poorest of the metro dwellers could get their hands on.
You most likely wouldn’t enjoy eating this stuff as it is, and in my mind it’s best used either to give a soup some extra kick, as a base for some creamy mushroom sauce, or on top of some crispy toasted bread… (only if you could afford to buy bread in metro).
If you consider yourself lucky enough, you can toss in some spices in while cooking the paste and make it more tasty.
150g Champignon mushrooms
0,5dl Heavy cream (37g)
Pinch of salt
(Pinch of onion powder, black pepper/allspice)
- Cut the mushrooms into chunks and toss them into a blender.
- Blend the mushrooms until they form a smooth paste.
- Melt the lard over medium heat on a frying pan and add the mushroom paste to the lard.
- Cook the mushrooms in the lard, mixing the paste every now and then until the mushrooms are soft and they give off little to no steam.
- Add cream (and spices), keep cooking until the paste thickens.
- Serve immediately or store in airtight container, let the paste cool down and refrigerate.
– To know when the paste has been cooking enough, make few holes in the paste with a spatula, if the paste doesn’t not fall back in to its place, it should be ready!
Difficulty: EASY MEDIUM HARD