Ahh… the good old macaroni casserole, the perfect thing to warm up when you want homemade food but you are too busy gaming or fixing your old Satsuma to actually cook anything.
While struggling to come up with new ideas and testing out other recipes, I seriously needed a food item that I would have no problem replicating, and the “macaroni box” from My Summer Car was simple and easy to recreate.
Even though I’ve been cooking macaroni cassaroles many times, I did find it interesting to try and make a somewhat similar product to those that they sell in supermarkets here in Finland.
160g Minced meat ( 60% beef 40% pork )
1/2 tsp Onion powder
1/2 tsp Paprika powder
1/3 tsp White pepper powder
1 tsp Salt
160g Elbow macaroni
1 l Water
1 tsp Salt
4 dl Milk ( 300g )
- Preheat oven at 200°C.
- Heat up a pan, brown the meat with the spices and set aside to cool.
- Cook the elbow macaroni with water and salt until almost completely soft.
- Drain the macaroni well and mix it in with the minced meat.
- Whisk the egg using a fork until the yolk is incorporated with the egg white.
- Combine the egg and milk and give it a good mix.
- Pour your macaroni/meat mixture on a tray, and fill it with the milk/egg mixture.
- (Top your macaroni box with tiny pieces of butter.)
- Bake the macaroni box for approximately 30 minutes, until golden brown.
– You might want to use a bit of butter or oil if you are cooking the meat in a cast iron pan.
– Let the macaroni box set for a while before serving.
– This recipe made two approximately 400g boxes of macaroni.
Difficulty: EASY MEDIUM HARD